What other hairstyle makes you look like a million dollars than a wonderful beach wave on your locks. Imagine yourself entering a room with your hair capturing the attention of everyone because of your perfectly curled crowning glory.
However, some women, especially those who are wearing hair extensions may steer away from the thought of curling their hair. The reason behind it is they feared that it can damage their beloved hair extensions. What these ladies might not know is that hair extensions can be curled in many different ways.
Here are some tips on how you can curl your hair extensions and choose the one that you feel more comfortable doing.
Curling Hair Extensions With Heat
This procedure is the most common of all which also scares away most of the women in curling their hair extension. It is known that heat can cause dryness and even damage to your hair and hair extensions.
However, if you will just do this procedure properly, you can achieve the waves that you are aiming for without damaging your locks. The first thing you can do is to protect your hair with a heat protectant spray before applying the heat to your hair.
If you are going to curl your hair with heat, here are the different ways you can do it:
Using a Curling Wand
Using a curling wand is pretty straightforward, you will just have to wrap your hair around the barrel and wait for 10 to 15 seconds before you release your hair. This way you can make sure that the curls will be properly set.
There are different methods in curling your hair using a curling wand for each type of style. Each method will produce different kinds of curls which is why you must know what you want first before starting to curl your hair.
Using a Hair Straightener
If you do not have a curling wand or curling iron but have a hair straightener lying around, you can use the straightener you already have in curling your hair. Instead of buying a new curling wand, you should buy a hair straightener as it can be used for both curling and straightening purposes.
If your hair straightener has a heat setting, set it on the lowest heat. Your hair will still curl even with a little bit of heat. Start from your roots, wrap your hair around the straightener and stop at the middle of your hair.
Wait for a few seconds and gently slide the straightener down with your hair wrap around it. Do it until it reaches the end of your strand. Repeat the process until you curl all of your hair and your hair extensions.
Use a Blow-Dryer
Another way to curl your hair extension using heat is by using a blow-dryer. First, you can do it with the help of a diffuser. Attach the diffuser to your blow-dry and start curling your hair from the roots. Using a diffuser is a great way of curling your hair extensions without making them frizzy.
The second way of curling your hair using your blow dryer is to use a round brush. You can easily do this procedure if you divide your hair and do the curling in each section of your hair. Simply wrap a portion of your hair and hair extension around the round brush and blow-dry it as you twist the brush with the hair.
A gentle reminder, it is best to let the professionals do this technique. if you haven’t done this yet, the chances that your hair gets stuck on the brush is high. You will end up having to cut your hair just to free it from the brush so do this procedure with utmost care. Additionally, this procedure can also be tricky if you have hair extensions installed.
Heatless Curling Techniques
Now, let’s go for the good news ladies. If you are scared of heat damaging your hair, worry no more as there are so many ways you can curl extensions without using any form of heat. Here are some of the techniques that will surely give you gorgeous curls while not damaging your hair.
Curl Your Hair Using a T-Shirt
Who would have thought in a million years that you can achieve gorgeous waves on your hair extensions just by using a t-shirt? This technique is also popularly known as the halo method because you are making a halo with the t-shirt with your hair wrapped around it.
If you want to try this technique you can follow the procedure below:
- Clean your hair and make it dry.
- Once it is already 95% dry brush your hair gently to get rid of tangles.
- Roll your t-shirt and shape it like the letter “O”.
- Place the rolled t-shirt on your head like a halo or crown.
- Start on the side of your head, grab a small section of hair in front near your face and wrap it around the t-shirt you placed on your head.
- Use a bobby pin to secure the hair in place.
- Repeat with the remaining hair until all hair is firmly wrapped and tucked into the halo t-shirt.
- Sleep and wait until morning to see the result.
Curl With Pins or Grips
If you find curling with a t-shirt is too much for you then this next method might suit what you are looking for. Instead of a t-shirt, you will be going to use bobby pins or hair grips. Here is the procedure of this method for you to follow.
- Damp your hair slightly and use a styling product of your choice. Just make sure that the styling product is hair extension friendly to avoid any issues.
- Take a small section of your hair and gently wrap it around your finger. Make sure to wrap it away from your face.
- Glide down the hair from your finger slowly forming a coil. Make sure that you are not ruining the coil as you remove your finger.
- Once it’s out of your finger, secure the loop with a bobby pin or hair grips.
- Repeat until you finish all of your hair.
- Wrap your hair with a shower cap or cloth to avoid ruining the coils on your hair.
- Sleep and remove the pins in the morning to enjoy the curls.
Curling Hair Extensions by Braiding
Braiding your hair extensions while you sleep is one of the ways to take care of your hair extensions. You can find this tip in almost all of the rule book on how to care for your extensions. What you did not know is that it can also be a good way to curl your hair.
It is like hitting two birds with one stone. Curling your hair while making sure that your extensions are properly taken care of. Here is the procedure that you will need to follow to achieve gorgeous waves safely.
- Make sure your hair is damp.
- Comb your hair to detangle using a wide-tooth comb.
- Apply a leave-in conditioner or a texturizing cream on your hair.
- Start braiding your hair like you normally do.
- Wait for 12 hours before undoing the braid or you can also choose to sleep on it and undo the braid in the morning.
- Avoid brushing your hair. Instead, finger comb it to give your waves a style.
- Enjoy heatless and beautiful wavy hair.
Bun to Curl Your Hair
Another easy way to curl your hair without using any tools is to bun it. If you have bun your hair before, you have already experience how it can provide great curls. However, you can achieve even great results if you follow these instructions.
- Wet your hair and apply hair mousse.
- Make a ponytail and twist it forming a knot.
- Wrap the knot on the base of your ponytail. Secure it with a pin or a hair tie that can fit on the bun.
- Wait for your hair to be completely dry before you undo the bun and enjoy the curls.
Use Velcro Hair Rollers
Hair rollers are the ones our grandmothers used to achieve waves on their hair during their time. There are no curling wands or straightening irons many years ago and yet they still achieve wonderful curls. Until today, hair rollers are still used by many women who understands the benefits it can give compared to using heated curling tools.
Velcro hair rollers are the best tool to achieve soft and romantic curls without damaging your hair and hair extensions. If you are not familiar with how to use hair rollers, here are the instructions to help you throughout the procedure.
- Choose the proper size of the velcro roller depending on the effect of the curls that you want. Small rollers will provide small curls, while bigger ones will give you big waves.
- Properly wash and condition your hair to prepare it for the curling.
- Towel dry your hair and put anti-frizz serum and volumizing mousse.
- Wait until hair is about 90% dry.
- Section hair in three large sections.
- Pick a small segment of your hair, place the roller near your scalp and wrap that segment of hair around the roller.
- Work from one section to the other until done.
- Let your hair set for as long as you want. The longer the better the results will be. It is also best to sleep with the rollers on.
- Remove each roller and style your curly hair according to your preference.
Be reminded that no matter what technique you used in curling your hair extensions, make sure that you do it carefully to avoid damaging the bonds of your hair extensions. Avoid pulling your hair out too much during the procedure. You should handle your hair extensions gently.
It is also best that you choose the best hair extension to be installed in your hair so that you can make sure it will not get damaged easily when you style your hair while you are wearing them. Our bio bonds hair extensions are the best example of good quality extensions.
With bio bonds, you will not have to worry that you will be going to destroy the bonds of your hair and the extensions during the curling procedures. As long as you are doing it with care, your bio bonds will be fine.
The Reason Why Curls Don’t Stay on Your Extensions
Many women who are using real human hair extensions face this problem. Some have noticed that the curls on their extensions do not last as long as the others. The obvious answer to this problem is that real human hair extensions are human products.
A human’s hair is not formulated to withstand chemicals as this is formed and grows naturally from the scalp of a person. This is why it is normal that each set of extensions will have a different reaction to styling because of their unique characteristics.
Every human hair type has its pros and cons. This is also what you should expect on hair extensions that are made from real human hair. Each set will have a different outcome when you curl them with or without heat.
Talk to your hair technician regarding this issue so that they give you pieces of advice on how to style your hair extensions especially if it is made from human hair.
Go and Curl Your extensions Without Worries
You already have some ideas on how to achieve that beautiful beach waves without worrying about damaging your extension. Go ahead and put some curls on your locks using the method you are most comfortable with. It is now time to transform your look from straight hair to curly and enjoy that look you have been craving for.